Dog Days

 

January 7, 2019

It’s been a miserable few days with a bout of flu. Missing the first few days of sunshine and unseasonably spring-like weather, I had to throw on my insulated vest and cap to go out and rake the leaves that rain prevented in the fall. Once out in the fresh air I felt better. There were three squirrels up in the Maple just beyond the fence, chattering away at the dogs and causing them to bark incessantly. Two of them braved the climb down about a dog’s length from the fence and ran off down the hill and out of sight. The third one was treed and too afraid to come down. On it twittered and prattled without stop. I finally succumbed to putting the dogs in the house in order that peace reign once again in the neighborhood. The dogs were quieted, but the squirrel prattled on.

Moving out front to rake the leaves around the porch and down the few steps to the sidewalk, my neighbor walked over to the fence and started talking to me. “How was your Christmas?” “My father is having surgery tomorrow.” “My sister and I will be caring for him…” Just a friendly greeting and small talk. As we were talking, the neighbor on the other side of him, John, (John, with his wife and little girl were new to the neighborhood this summer;. He was the first one at the scene when Ray passed. It has bonded us in a special way that only tragedy can. We trust each other. He tells me private tidbits about the neighborhood. He mowed my front yard after Ray passed and the hill where I injured my knee for the rest of the summer. I let him bring his German Shepherd puppy/dog to run in my fenced in yard.) came out with his GSD and asked us if we could hear the squirrel? “Yes” I told him. “I put the dogs in and now he’s demanding that I vacate the premises, as well.”

Back to raking the leaves and out of ear-shot of the squirrel, I decided to have a little bon fire to burn a few leaves and enjoy the beautiful night. I must have been out there a couple hours. The light of day had turned to dusk and quickly to dark. The embers sparked and flared in the night as the smell of burning wood filled the air. Mmm, I needed this. The fresh air was good for what ailed me. Taking a quick check on the dogs back in the house, I find Buddy’s nose to the floor licking hot chocolate from the floor. His white stockings were brown with the mixture from the individual packets he had torn up. Louie and Tiger shot out of sight the moment they heard the screen door click open. Out went the dogs! Let the squirrel chatter and let the dogs bark! Inside, I swept up the mess and mopped the floor. When I let them back in the house, they went right into the living room without a peep and laid down in their places. Buddy was curled up on his bed looking angelic. He is the most beautiful Collie I have ever seen. I watched the embers burn out from my window. It was a good day.

I woke up this morning to a nicely raked yard, a clean kitchen floor, and rain coming down that is forecasted for the entire day. I call that great timing! 

Comments

Popular Posts