Break-In At The Barn


Staring up at me with big ears and wide eyes
 As I opened the door to the barn, there, staring up at me with big ears and wide eyes was the donkey standing out-of-place in the isle with the two ponies bunched in behind him. My eyes took a quick survey of the strewn hay, the lid laying on the ground next to the grain barrel, and huge bites of hay missing from every bale within their reach. The gates separating their stall from the hay had not been properly secured by the staff that loaded the big round bales on the bobcat when they fed the horses in the other pasture. Ponies are well known to take advantage at every chance; and donkeys, well, I'm sure they wouldn't pass up a chance break-in. With little obstruction and in
Ponies are well known to take advantage at every chance
short order, they must have discovered clear entrance early and pushed their way through the gates. What utopia must have run through their veins at finding themselves on the other side with all that hay within reach. From the look of things, all night must have been spent exploring every nook and cranny, as it seemed nothing was left untouched. Their only saving grace was the tall container of grain being only half full and too deep to reach with their short stature. Thus, their lives were spared. I put them back where they belonged, secured the gates, and fed and watered the horses in the next stall. As I was leaving I noticed three faces looking at me as if I had forgotten to feed them. With a chuckle I closed the door. They had their all-night smorgasbord.

Comments

Popular Posts